Sponsored by the California Legislative Black Caucus
The African-American Leaders for Tomorrow (AALT) Program is a four-day long residential summer program that is held on the campus of California State University Dominquez Hills (CSUDH). Ninety students are hand selected to receive leadership training and attend workshops on topics such as the legislative process and civic engagement. Students will be housed on the campus of CSUDH. Meals, program materials, as well as transportation during the conference will be provided at no cost to the participants. For students living outside of Los Angeles & Riverside Counties, transportation to the conference will also be provided based on where you live. The conference will take place Wednesday, July 8, 2020 to Saturday, July 11, 2020.
Current California high school sophomores or juniors with a 2.5 or higher GPA and are in good academic standing as of January 1, 2020, are eligible to apply.
Applicants must also:
- Demonstrate leadership potential (i.e. involvement in student government, community leadership or similar activities)
- Provide current high school transcript (dated within the last 90 days)
- Submit two signed letters of recommendation (dated within the last 90 dats)
- One letter must be from a school official and one from a community member who is not related to you
- Submit two essays:
Essay requirements: Each essay must be typewritten, 500 words or less, on a separate page. Include your full name at the top of each page
Essay One: Leadership: Discuss your leadership ability and potential. Include an explanation of why you feel you are qualified to participate in the conference. Also, discuss your expectations of how this conference will enhance your leadership ability and potential as well as support you in reaching your educational goals
Essay Two: Personal Statement: Write a descriptive piece about goals, achievements, or obstacles you have encountered in your academic life. Explain why attending college is important to you. You can also write about your preferred colleges, area of study you would like to focus on or even about your career aspirations
- Submit a photo
- Submit completed forms: Agreements Document
Note - Documents must be submitted in PDF. Photo in JPG/PNG. Special characters in file names, like apostrophes, will cause an error in submission.
Deadlines: (deadline dates are subject to change)
- Monday, February 3, 2020 - Applications will be available. (5PM)
- Monday, May 11, 2020 - Application deadline (5PM) *extended*
- May 12 – May 22, 2020 - Review and Selection Process.
- May 29, 2020 Students will be notified via email by 9pm.
- July 8 – 11, 2020 - The conference will be held on the campus of CSUDH.
For more information, or if you have trouble submitting this form, please contact:
Jannell Jackson at Jannell.Jackson@asm.ca.gov (Please add 2020 AALT to the subject line for all emails)