Sacramento – The California Legislative Black Caucus will host the 2012 Civil Rights Leadership Awards Breakfast, honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012, at the Holiday Inn, 300 J St. Sacramento.
"We are privileged to host this breakfast in honor of the greatest Civil Rights leader of our time whose words and actions have become the template for social justice in America and throughout the world,” said Senator Curren D, Price, Jr., Chair of the Legislative Black Caucus.
In addition to celebrating the legacy of Dr. King, the Caucus will also honor individuals who have shared Dr. King's commitment to work for the betterment of African Americans and others throughout California and the United States of America.
- Congressman Mervyn M. Dymally will receive the Living Legend Award.
- Mr. Timothy Simon, Public Utilities Commissioner, will receive the Civil Rights Leadership Award;
- California Black Health Network will receive the Community Advocacy Award.
- The Caucus will also honor Senator Teresa Hughes, posthumously.
- Robbin Coaxum-Lewis, Chief of Staff to Assembly member Wilmer Amina Carter, will receive the Distinguished Government Service Award.
What: Civil Rights Leadership Awards Breakfast, honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr.
When: 8 a.m., Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Where: The Holiday Inn, 300 J Street, Sacramento. CA